Who is responsible for the improved atmosphere?
          The Weirs Action Committee (WAC) was established in 1995 "for the purpose of preserving the unique and historic character of Weirs Beach by improving the quality and appearance of Laconia's resort community." To facilitate this group in pursuing its mission, there have been established four standing committees in the areas of infrastructure, physical appearance, special events, and marketing.

          Since its establishment, the mission of the WAC has expanded, and now encompasses the following:

          "The natural beauty and attributes of Weirs Beach and its community provide the opportunity to attract a broad spectrum of visitors to enjoy the unique attractions and amenities, thus enabling local residents and businesses to prosper and enjoy a continually improving quality of life.

          Accomplishments of the group are many, and include the following:

• Restoration of the world-famous neon Weirs Beach sign, which was erected on Saturday, July 21, 1956, and celebrated early its 50th birthday on Friday, May 26, 2006. The sign features 696 11-watt chaser bulbs, 200 feet of neon tubing, and lights up in a distinctive pattern beckoning visitors to Weirs Beach. Weighing in at 4400 lbs, the sign was restored in mid-January 2002 to a relocated traffic island, 8 feet closer to Lakeside Ave and off the state right-of-way on Route 3. The relocation resulted in an improved traffic flow, with two lanes of one-way traffic on either side of the sign (previously, there was one-lane, two-way traffic on either side of the sign.) The relocation plan had called for a left-hand turning lane off of Route 3 southbound, but there wasn't enough room.

          One interesting feature of the sign is that it is two-sided. For visitors coming from Laconia and other points South of Weirs Beach, and who are travelling North on Route 3, it will point to the right; while for visitors coming from Meredith and other points North of Weirs Beach, and who are travelling South, it will point to the left.

          A 1998, pre-restoration, daytime photo.

          A 2006, post-restoration, nighttime photo.

Click here to enlarge the above B&W photo

Click here to enlarge

          The original colors of the Weirs Beach sign, seen above in this circa 1957 postcard, were yellow and black. (This postcard also shows the original traffic island.) The sign was yellow, the supporting poles were black, and the arrrow was black. Today, the sign (below right) is light blue, the supporting poles are dark blue, and the arrow is red.
           Also note the topmost pole, visible in earlier photos. Before restoration, power to the sign was fed from overhead utility lines and down the topmost pole (below left). After restoration, power was fed from an underground line and up the main bottom pole.           Unfortunately, during the restoration, a key element of the original design, the topmost pole, was removed. Previously tall and well-proportioned, the sign now appears short and squat . Still very attractive though!

Another old photo of the Weirs Beach sign

           • Commissioning sculptor Robert Morton to create a historically accurate statue of a Native American, as he would have appeared to the explorers who reached Weirs Beach in 1652 and who carved their initials on the Endicott Rock monument. The statue was dedicated on June 4, 2005, with participation of NH's Native American Inter-Tribal Council.

          The photos on the right show the new statue, now atop the Endicott Rock Monument. The photo on the left shows the fragile old statue, "Captain Jack" (click here to enlarge.) Captain Jack was donated by Dr. J. Alonzo Greene, owner of the New Hotel Weirs, and placed atop the monument in 1901. The statue was one of three copies made of zinc alloy by the William Demuth and Co. of New York, a purveyor in the 19th century of cigar store items, and was the symbol of the "Captain Jack Tobacco Company". Never historically accurate, instead of local Native American Abenaki and Pennacook features, the figure wore a Seminole headdress and carried a Mohawk tomahawk. Struck by lightning in 1978, the statue was repaired and rededicated on May 27, 1983, only to be vandalized three months later, when it was found standing in the Lake with water up to its armpits. After another round of repairs, it was placed on its permanent perch on a balcony overlooking the periodical reading room at Laconia's Gale Memorial Library.

• Landscaping of Weirs Beach parks and traffic islands
• Provision of flower-topped trash receptacles on both sides of Lakeside Avenue
• Donation of park benches for the boardwalk
• Construction of a handicap ramp to the beach
• Purchase of a beach sand cleaner
• Installation of decorative lighting at Endicott Rock park
• Financing of an irrigation system for plantings along the boardwalk
• Installation of improved signage to parking areas and the public beach
• Installation of telephone pole banners on Lakeside Avenue that change color and message along with the seasons

 

          Any person, group or business having an interest in the objectives of the WAC may become a member, and in fact, the WAC has attracted a wide membership of both local residents and businesses.

          You can find out more about the Weirs Action Committee by visiting their website at weirsbeach.org; by emailing the committee at info@weirsbeach.org; or by writing to: PO Box 5481, Weirs Beach, New Hampshire, 03247-5481.

What Weirs Beach improvements should be expected in the future?
SIDEWALKS: In the 1990's, several major improvements were completed which significantly improved pedestrian safety in Weirs Beach.
          A new sidewalk was constructed on the East (Lake) side of Lakeside Avenue, along the fencing which separated the railroad tracks and boardwalk from the street. Whereas previously, visitors parking cars on the East side of Lakeside Avenue had to walk some distance in the street to reach the safety of a crosswalk, visitors could now walk safely along the new sidewalk to reach a crosswalk.
          At several corners, where Lakeside Avenue intersected with New Hampshire Avenue, Tower St, and Foster Avenue, new stone curbing provided handicap access.
          Finally, the sidewalk in front of the Half Moon, which had been a conspicuously narrow sidewalk for the center of town, was widened by 3', providing a comfortably broadened walking lane.

          The Lakes Region Correction Facility, located between Lake Winnisquam (background) and Lake Opechee (foreground) in Laconia

          On May 14, 1998, the City of Laconia made a deal with the State of New Hampshire, whereby the Lakes Region Correction Facility's (photo, above) inmate population could be expanded from a temporary 300 to a permanent 500. (The prison, which opened in October of 1991, had previously been the Laconia State School for the Developmentally Disabled. Originally, it had been known as the Laconia State School for Feeble Minded Children.)
                
     As part of the deal, the state would pay for the installation of sidewalks along the state-owned Route 3 in Weirs Beach.
          Originally, sidewalks were to extend "along both sides of Route 3 in Weirs Beach, between Route 11B and Tower Street and Route 11B and its intersections with Route 3 and a point one-half mile south of the intersection."
           In June, 2007, the State Department of Transportation announced that the sidewalks would extend only "along the eastern side of Route 3, from the area of Warner Street down to Lucerne Avenue, before jumping to the west side of Route 11B up to White Oaks Road."
          Essentially, the project had been reduced to about 1/2 mile of new sidewalk, a quarter of the approximately 2 miles of sidewalks originally promised (1/2 mile of sidewalk on both sides of the street in both directions from the Route 3/Route 11B intersection). There was already a sidewalk on the eastern side of Route 3 beginning at Endicott Rock park and traversing the Aquadoctan stone bridge to the Alpenrose plaza, comprising about 25% of the 2/3 of a mile distance to be covered.
          At meetings to discuss the sidewalk project, Weirs Beach community members acquiesced that constructing the sidewalk on only the east side of Route 3 might be sufficient, but strongly suggested that in exchange, the sidewalk should be extended 1 mile northward to Funspot, and ultimately, all the way to the junction of Route 3 with Scenic/Watson road. The notion of extending the sidewalk(s) southward on Route 3, a 1/2 mile down Weirs Boulevard, which had been part of the original state sidewalk plan, was a lower priority for those in attendance. However, it is the webmaster's opinion that constructing a sidewalk along the West side of Weirs Boulevard, with its beautiful view of Paugus Bay, ultimately as far as Lake Street in Laconia, should be part of any long-term plans for sidewalks in Weirs Beach.
          After costly archaeological excavations during the summer of 2007 to make sure the new sidewalks would not destroy possible remnants of past Abenaki Indian activity in the area, the sidewalks were constructed in the fall of 2007. They only extend down the East side of Route 3 from the new Cumberland Farms store down to the Weirs Beach sign. Two extremely short sections were constructed on the west side of Route 3 directly opposite the Weirs Beach sign.
          According to a May 4, 2009 Citizen article, Laconia Public Works Director Paul Moynihan stated, "We didn't get what we were promised...but in fairness to the state, I don't think anybody in 1998 knew what a big deal it was to build that sidewalk with major drainage issues and archaeological sensitivity.

UTILITY WIRES: In the mid 1880's, utility poles were erected right down the middle of Lakeside Avenue, providing street lighting, electrical and telephone service to Weirs Beach residents and visitors for the first time.

          In the early 1890's, a second set of poles and wires was erected on the West (Land) side of Lakeside Avenue to satisfy increased demand. Eventually the central set of poles and wires came down, but the set on the West side of Lakeside Avenue is still with us today.

          Many municipalities, large and small, have recognized the esthetic and commercial value of burying unsightly utlility wires in their core areas underground, including the downtown business district of Laconia, which buried their wires long ago. The postcards above graphically illustrate how pleasant and serene a streetscape can look when utility poles and wires are removed from view.

          In the spring of 2001, the city of Laconia appropriated an inital amount of $160,000 to relocate the utility wires on Lakeside Avenue, beginning at Route 3, and continuing on to Tower St. Some wires were to be relocated to existing utility poles on Veterans Ave, while other wires were to be relocated by traveling up existing utility poles on Route 3 and down existing utility poles on Tower St.
          As it became clear that the true cost of the project was roughly double that of the initial appropriation, an additional amount of $160, 000 was sought. At a May 8, 2002 meeting of the Laconia city council, a vote to appropriate the additional funds was defeated.
          The reason for the defeat was that the Weirs Beach community was itself divided on the issue. While actual burial of the wires was estimated to cost upward of $1.5 million, far more than the cost of their relocation, certain members of the Weirs Beach community did not want the wires to be relocated, as the wires were to be relocated in front of their properties.

          Burial of the utility wires will remain a top priority of the Weirs Beach community for the forseeable future. Commercial resort areas where wires have been buried have attracted considerable new business investment. For example, Maine's Old Orchard Beach, which began a series of improvements in the late 1980's to give the resort a more Victorian look, that eventually included the burial of its wires, can now proudly point to a resurgence of its waterfront which includes not only upscale shops, but a brand new, 5-story retail and condominium complex opened in 2007 called the Grand Victorian, "modeled after the Grand Hotels of the 1920's and 1930's".

REVITALIZATION: After the depression of the 1930's, with the Golden Era of Weirs Beach long over, and the few buildings being built in the interim with little architectural significance, the first of several revitalization plans for the core area of Weirs Beach was created in 1940. Called the "Plan for Ultimate Redevelopment of the Weirs Waterfront", the plan was prepared for the City of Laconia and the Weirs Rehabilitation Committee by the New Hampshire State Planning and Development Commission, F. P. Clark, Planning Director, and C.A. Blessing, Planner.

Revitalization plan of 1940 - click here to enlarge.

          Ignoring the street side of Lakeside Avenue, where the buildings of the time were drawn in pretty much as they existed in 1940, the most notable aspect of the plan was its depiction of a massive waterfront amphitheatre, as well as expansion of the public docks to encompass the entire Weirs Beach waterfront.

          The next revitalization plan that stepped up to the plate was created in 1947. Called "A Suggested Plan for the Redevelopment of the Weirs, N.H.", it was once again prepared for the City of Laconia by the New Hampshire State Planning and Development Commission. It was little more than a variation of the 1940 plan, with the street side of Lakeside Avenue remaining mostly as it was, and a massive expansion planned for the waterfront.
          In this case rather than an amphitheatre, the dominating feature of the plan was a huge, triangular shaped pier, protruding beyond three large enclosures of water. However, this plan did call for a convention center up on the hillside (the tall, rectangular building in the upper part of the drawing, slightly left of center) and, directly across from the convention center on the water , a large bathing facility facing north to a swimming pool surrounded by a deck on 3 sides.

Revitalization plan of 1947 - click here to enlarge.

          Both the 1940 plan and the 1947 plan addressed the need to significantly expand the public docks, which in 1947, had yet to be rebuilt following the 1939 fire which had destroyed the train station, original steamship Mount Washington, and the public wharf. By the time of the next revitalization plan in 1966, this goal had already been accomplished, although certainly not in the way the 1940 and 1947 plans had envisioned.

           The 1966 revitalization plan was titled "Proposed Development Plan for Weirs Beach" and was prepared for the city of Laconia by a Massachusetts consulting firm - Sasaki, Dawson and Demay Associates.
Revitalization plan of 1966 - click here to enlarge the area map, above, and here to enlarge the drawing of the core, below.

          Essentially, the plan was a form of "urban renewal" for Weirs Beach. The long history and architectural quality of many of Weirs Beach's most important buildings went unacknowledged in the plan. The historic NH Veteran's Association buildings, the Winnipesaukee Pier and Winnipesaukee Marketplace, the Methodist campground residences - all would have been torn down under the plan. At this time, in 1966, the downtown Laconia business district had already begun just this very process, which continued through the 1970's and resulted in the destruction of many of Laconia's historical buildings. (Fortunately, the "Save the Mills Society" in Laconia, which was organized in 1970, managed to preserve the Belknap-Sulloway (1823) and Busiel-Seeburg (1853) mills, both slated for demolition.)

          Downtown Laconia, before "Urban Renewal", was bustling and vibrant with activity. Click here to enlarge this 50's postcard, as well as to see many other historical looks at downtown Laconia - before Urban Renewal.

          Similar to the Laconia urban renewal plan, the 1966 plan called for not only new buildings, but also a radically revised traffic pattern, complete with new roads and parking lots.  A mega parking lot would replace the Weirs Beach Drive-in and extend North as far as Hilliard Road; a Route 3 bypass would be constructed across a new bridge across the Weirs Channel, plowing through Channel Marine and reconnecting to Route 3 in the area of today's Cedar Lodge; and two new streets would slice diagonally down Tower Hill to connect with the core and Scenic Rd in a circular pattern.
           Sounding more and more like a Disney-type development, Lakeside Avenue would become a pedestrian mall, with visitors conveyed by "gaily designed old-time vehicles shuttling between [parking lots] and principal activity areas"; the core would be rebuilt with a new cruise pier and "Tivoli Gardens" area (Tivoli Gardens, in Copenhagen, Denmark, is the world's oldest amusement park); and, like the 1940 revitalization plan, an amphitheatre (diamond shape at the center of the circular traffic pattern on the map) would be constructed, with seating for "500 or more."
          To put this plan in context, in 1966, NH's interstate highway, Route 93, was less than a decade old, having been formed in 1957. When Exit 20 in Tilton was first constructed, a 3-phase plan was proposed by the New Hampshire Department of Public Works and Highways, whereby the exit would be connected by a divided highway directly to Weirs Beach!
         In phase one, a bypass highway would be built around Laconia. Two routes were studied in 1959. The first, an 8.9 mile "internal" route, would have paralleled the railroad from Veterans Square to Lakeport, and continued to parallel the railroad alongside the western shore of Paugus Bay. Just before Weirs Beach, the internal route would have diverged northwest through woods, to join up with Route 3 at the Laconia-Meredith town line. The second, 10.6 mile "external" route", the "Laconia-Gilford Bypass", became the preferred alternative. Construction began in 1963. The Bypass was completed in 1968.
         In phase two, the Laconia bypass would have been connected directly to Route 93, relocating twelve miles of Routes 3 and 11. While the NH DPWH (renamed in 1986 the NH Department of Transportation) and federal DOT highway officials seriously studied this "Franklin-Laconia Bypass" second phase for nearly 30 years, it was opposed by the towns of Belmont and Tilton, who filed suit in US District Court in Concord in early May of 1983 to stop it. Even though the proposed highway would have passed through the environmentally sensitive Lake Winnisquam and Silver Lake watersheds, the towns did not sue on this basis. Rather, the towns sued on the grounds that the highway would cause "irreparable harm" to the 8,000-year-old Lochmere Archeological District, which had just been established in 1982. In late August, 1983, the towns won their suit.
          The federal DOT appealed the district courts's ruling. In Boston, on July 27, 1985, Judge Stephen G. Breyer of the First Circuit Court of Appeals (later to be a US Supreme Court Justice), made his decision in the case of Town of Belmont et al. v. Elizabeth Dole, US Secretary of Transportation. He overturned the lower court's injunction against the highway project, agreeing with the DOT that in some cases, archeological recovery was a better option than historical preservation. But it was too late. The project was already dead.
          With the second phase out of the picture, the 3rd phase, which would have extended the Laconia bypass down the White Oaks Road corridor to the junction of Route 3 and Route 11B in Weirs Beach, and built a new bridge over the Weirs Channel, died a very quite death in the 1990s when rights-of-way the NH DOT had acquired in the 1960's formally expired.
          The authors of the 1966 plan fully expected Weirs Beach to be directly connected to the interstate highway system by the end of 1970's, so their exuberance is understandable.

          Interestingly, only the plan's proposals concerning Brickyard Mountain seem close to being realized. The plan envisioned a "quality mountain-top resort complex with a complete range of physically integrated facilities, including 200 or more seasonal homes." Meredith Bay (previously known as Akwa Soleil) has built such a housing development, a 171-home gated community called Akwa Vista. Currently under construction, the Akwa Marina complex, just north of Doe Point, will have a large parking lot across Scenic Road, similar to that seen on the 1966 plan map. Planned for future expansion is the Akwa Verdant subdivision, west of Route 3 from Akwa Vista, which will, if built, feature a golf course, also seen on the 1966 plan map.

          The next revitalization plan for Weirs Beach was created in 1979 for the Lakes Region Planning Commission by Russell Thibeault of Applied Economic Research in Laconia and the W.M. Design Group, and was titled simply the "Weirs Investment Plan".

Revitalization plan of 1979 - click here to enlarge.

           Like the 1966 plan, the 1979 plan proposed the creation of more parking lots and 2 new roads slicing diagonally down Tower Hill to interconnect them in a loop. However, the 1979 plan was far less radical than the 1966 plan, because the new roads and parking would supplement the exisiting roads and parking, rather than completely replace them. Also like the 1966 plan, the 1979 plan envisioned a trolley shuttling visitors from fringe parking areas to the core; and the development of the marina and parking lot at the base of Brickyard Mountain, as seems about to occur with the Akwa Marina project.
           Like the 1940 and 1947 plans, the 1979 plan proposed expanding the public docks significantly, in this case bridging the gap between the existing Winnipesaukee Pier and existing public docks with a huge wharf.
          Like the 1940 and 1966 plans, the 1979 plan proposed the creation of an amphitheatre; in this case the stucture was proposed for placement in the historic Veteran's Grove, rather than on the waterfront (1940 plan) or central core (1966 plan).
          The idea of an amphitheatre in Weirs Beach is an idea that seems to just keep going and going, although the proposed location of the amphitheatre is forever changing. The latest plan for an amphitheatre would locate it far from the core, in the Weirs Community Park, located on Lucerne Avenue. The Park is now nothing more than woods and a parking lot; but a trail system, a baseball field, outdoor classrooms, and the amphitheatre have all been proposed for this city property, acquired in 1979 with funding from the federal Land and Water Conservation act.
          One of the new ideas in the 1979 plan was a proposal for commercial development across the Weirs Channel from Endicott Rock. Although the proposed pedestrian bridge across the channel was never built, the site was developed commercially; built by the Dexter Shoe corporation in the 1980's, the site is now the Alpenrose Plaza, housing the Weirs Beach post office, a restaurant, and an arcade, as well as several smaller businesses.
          The 1979 plan was very cognizant of the need to protect the historical legacy of Weirs Beach; it proposed an Indian museum and a Veteran's museum, and historical designation for the Veteran's property. In 1980, the New Hampshire Veteran's Association Historic District was created, and listed with the National Register of Historic Places. Neither a Veteran's museum nor an Indian museum has been built yet; however in 2004, Weirs Beach's first museum, the Lake Winnipesaukee Historical Society museum on Route 3, began operations.
           The 1979 plan recommended that the fire station, which had previously been located on Lakeside Avenue, be relocated to the intersection of Route 3 and Warner Street, to take it "out of the very congested area on Lakeside Avenue and put it in an area where it could more easily service many potential danger points". In 1984, the fire station was relocated from its under-sized 1936 home on Lakeside Avenue (an "Adobe Pueblo" building with stucco exterior and softly rounded corners); but the relocation was to the corner of Lucerne Avenue and Route 11B.

 
The 1893-1935 fire station, hose drying tower, and hose wagon.
The wooden bridge to Centenary Avenue is seen behind the building.

            The 1979 plan recommended "consistent graphics treatment of signage within Weirs Beach". While some businesses have made a voluntary effort to make theirs signs reflect Weirs Beach's Victorian heritage, others have not. The recent proliferation of electronic signboards on the short stretch of Route 3 at the entrance to Weirs Beach (by last count, there were 4 such signs) is very unfortunate and does not enhance the attractiveness of the area in any way. The 1979 plan's call for a historic district ordinance and/or a Design Review Board may be more needed than ever.
           Finally, the 1979 plan pointed out the need for "revitalization of building facades and rehabilitation of many of the fine historic buildings." In the year 2002, the Half Moon, which spans the central block at Weirs Beach's core, began a 4 year effort to replace its facade. In conjunction with new signage, overhead canopies, columns, cupolas, and reconfigured entranceways, the facade is greatly improved. Only one small section remains to be completed. Meanwhile, the Veteran's Association has continued to rehabilitate its buildings with new roofs, new stairways, and new paint jobs.

Click here to enlarge these photos of the new Half Moon facade

Revitalization plan of 1979 - street detail.

          The next-to-most-recent revitalization plan, Revitalizing Weirs Beach Through Recreation, was written by Kyle J. St Germaine in 2001, and was his master's thesis for a degree in Landscape Architecture. The plan was developed with significant input from the City of Laconia's Planning and Parks and Recreation departments. Revitalization would be accomplished by developing the Weirs Community Park, redesigning and improving Endicott Rock Park, and by creating a "connective vehicular and pedestrian system which would link the parks in the Weirs" and act as a "distinct gateway" to the area. Included was a proposal to retrofit the Weirs Channel bridge with a suspended pedestrian walkway that would be cantilevered off the north side of the bridge!
          Now there is a brand-new revitalization plan, Smart Growth Implementation Assistance for Laconia, New Hampshire, written by a team of consultants coordinated by the U.S. EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) and ICF International of Minneapolis, MN. The consultant team included firms from Berkeley, CA; San Francisco, CA; and Portsmouth, NH. The plan, dated November 1, 2007, was publicly presented to the Laconia City Council on January 28, 2008. The plan includes revitalization ideas not only for Weirs Beach, but for Lakeport and downtown Laconia as well.
          The Weirs Beach part of the plan focuses in on four key areas: "circulation improvements, waterfront enhancements, refined zoning, and gateway development".
          Among the suggested circulation improvements would be a redesigned intersection of Route 3 and Route 11B, either as a "T" with traffic lights, or as a rotary; a pedestrian/bike bridge over the Weirs Channel; and improved sidewalks radiating in all directions from the route 3 - Route 11B intersection.
        The key waterfront enhancement would be a public boat ramp on the east side of the Weirs Channel, accessible either from a possible future private hotel/retail development along the Channel, and/or directly from Lucern Avenue. Additionally, stormwater runoff reductions are urged in order to reduce erosion to the public beach; and reconfiguration of the public docks to increase the overall number of spaces, as well as to allow for bigger boats, is suggested.
          Refined zoning, as defined by the plan, would redirect development of Weirs Beach away from commercial uses, and instead drive development toward more year-round, residential uses, such as a "small scale, compact mixed-use development with a mix of residential types, narrow streets, and views of the water."
          Finally, the plan emphasizes "gateway development". As the plan explains, a gateway is "an entrance or access point to a community, usually signaling a change in landscape." Clearly, the intersection of Route 3 and Lakeside Avenue, where the Weirs Beach sign is strategically placed, is the gateway to Weirs Beach, as the landscape does change dramatically once one enters Lakeside Avenue from Route 3.
          The plan would enhance the attractiveness of this gateway by replacing the current Weirs Beach Waterslide/Volcano Mini-Golf with a new "anchor" - a higher-end, year-round resort hotel. The plan mentions several other "fine" locations where such a hotel could be appropriately located, including along the Weirs Channel; on White Oaks Road; on the NH Veterans property; and on the current site of the Half Moon. However, the waterslide would seem to be the most logical year-round location, as it would be highly visible both to summer visitors on Lakeside Avenue, and winter visitors along heavily trafficked Route 3.
Click here to enlarge the 2007 revitalization plan

          In summary, we can see that there have been many plans over the years for the revitalization of Weirs Beach; and that while many of the plans' recommendations have gone unheeded, many other proposals have gone on to become reality. Grandiose plans and ideas that would have required major new economic and political investments and significant alterations to existing infrastructure have consistently been rejected; while smaller-scale suggestions and incremental proposals have been embraced. A few consistent themes have emerged over the years from the various plans and will probably form the basis of any new revitalization plans in the future: expanding docking facilities for boats and parking for cars; improving pedestrian accessibility to and within the core; capitalizing on the marketing potential of Weirs Beach's long history; and building new facilities such as an amphitheatre, public pool, public park, museum, or year-round hotel.

          The many revitalization plans have reflected a public impatience with the pace of change at Weirs Beach. While there have been many improvements over the years, they have come at a measured - and some might even say slow - pace. The reason for the slow pace is clear. Weirs Beach has been, is, and will remain primarily a summer resort, with a 10-week peak season extending from the last week of June until Labor day. Due to the shortness of its season, the amount of funds available for investment will always be considerably less than would be available if Weirs Beach were a solid 3-season tourist attraction or a lively year-round residential location.

Dreaming of the future of Lake Winnipesaukee, in the early 1900's. Shown arevarious modes of transportation, including submarines, hot air balloons, dirigibles, ocean liners, and private watercraft, while an occasional sea monster or whale swims by. Click here to enlarge.
Dreams of the future of Meredith. Shown again are various modes of transportation - hot air balloon, dirigibles, airship, elevated train, cars, motorcycles, bicycles, trolley, and even a flying man. Note the dead man lying in the street. Accidents were forseen to be common in the future. Click here to enlarge.

return to  www.weirsbeach.com   home page