Where can I park in Weirs Beach?
          The green areas on the above map (click on the map to see it larger and in more detail) indicate the parking areas in Weirs Beach. All together there are over 700 parking spaces.

   •   There are about 100 spaces at the Endicott Rock parking lot. Gates are open from 8:30am until 12:00 am.
   •   There are about 30 spaces at the Beachview parking lot. The lot opens at 9:00am Monday-Friday and at 8:00am on Saturday-Sunday. The lot closes at 6:00pm Sunday-Thursday, and at 10:00pm Friday-Saturday.

   •   There are about 70 spaces at the Maple Street parking lot. The entrance to the lot is on Tower St.

   •   There are about 190 spaces at the Foster Avenue parking lot, Weirs Beach's largest. During non-holiday weeks, from Monday-Friday you can park your car there for FREE! (RVs and buses must pay.) The lot is open from 8am-midnight.

   •   There are about 30 spaces at the Winnipesaukee Marketplace parking lot (hidden away behind the building). The lot is for Winnipesaukee Marketplace customers only, but there is no time limit. Have an ice cream, or something cool to drink, a snack, or a meal, and park there as long as you like.

   •   There are about 100 spaces at the Weirs Community Park parking lot. The lot is located on Lucerne Avenue. While a little bit of walk from the center of Weirs Beach, parking there is always FREE! To get there, leave Weirs Beach, turn left at the Weirs Beach sign, cross the stone arch bridge over the Weirs Channel, and head straight onto Route 11-B. In about 100 feet, turn left on Lucerne Avenue. The lot is located on the right, just past the fire station.

The Paugus Bay side of the Weirs Channel (below). Photo taken from the stone arch bridge
A view of the channel looking North from Paugus Bay, taken around the same time as the two similar postcards below.

Compare the photo above, taken in 1999, to the photos below, dating from 1906 & 1910! (For some interesting modern-day aerial shots of the Weirs Channel, click here.)
When do I need to feed the parking meters?
There are about 220 public parking meter spaces on Lakeside Ave. The meters cost 25¢ per half hour. They need to be fed as follows:
(1)  From the Saturday preceding the fourth of July (but not later than July 1st) through Labor Day all 2 hour and 5 hour meters are in effect daily.

(2)  From the Saturday preceding Memorial Day through Columbus Day (but not including the period described in (1) above):

   A) 2 hour meters numbered #142-163 and #121-98 are in effect daily.

   B) 2 hour meters numbered #123-141 and all five hour meters are in effect on Saturdays, Sundays, and Holidays only.

(3)  When meters are in effect they are enforced from 10am to 10pm.

     There are also about 20 private parking meter spaces. Be careful to feed these also according to the signs, or your car may be towed!

          In this late 50's photo (click here to SuperSize [750k]), in addition to the parking meters, one can see a sign for Jean's Cafe to the left of the photo. Jean's Cafe (named after its original owner, Jean Tehberg) was a small diner that had replaced the large, "3rd Regiment" Victorian that had been destroyed in the great Weirs Beach fire of 1924. Local businessman Sidney Ames leased the building from the NH Veterans Association from 1951 through about 1980. Every summer Chef Sandy Baroni would return from his winter job as a college cafeteria chef and serve up delicious Italian food; there was a mini-bar seating 4 persons and booth style seating complete with in-wall jukeboxes. Roughly a decade later, the Ames family re-entered the Italian restaurant business when, after purchasing the Winnipesaukee Marketplace building in 1991, they opened the Patio Garden Restaurant.

                                  

          This train station was designed by Architect Norman P. Randlett and built in 1940 (its 1893 predecessor burned in 1939). A very plain and unadorned building, built in the post-WWII modernistic style, it was replaced in 1987. Its best feature was its curving, overhanging roof, which gave it an art-deco touch. The stairs on the right side of the building, visible in the color photo, were added later. They led up to a stage on the flat roof of the building where band concerts were held. From this prominent position bands could be heard all over Weirs Beach, although this arrangement left much to be desired in terms of the musicians being seen and interacting with their audience.

The above image of the band stand is part of a larger photo.
Click here to see the full photo.

How has the parking situation changed in the center of Weirs Beach over the years?
          In the 1910's, cars, passenger trains, freight trains, electric street trolleys, and even motorcycles all vied for their share of the street. There were no organized parking rules.

          As many as SIX sets of tracks severely constricted parking. First there was (#1) the main railroad line from Boston to Lincoln - the only tracks still present today. Two sidings (#2 & #3) directly in the center of town allowed freight or passenger cars to idle while the main train passed by. As one entered Weirs Beach from the South, a freight spur (#4) (see right) descended underneath the railroad station to a freight house, from where freight was transfered directly to the lake steamers of the time. (Click here to see a 1930's aerial view of these 4 sets of tracks.)
          In addition to all of these, from 1899-1924, the tracks of the
Laconia Street Railway (#5) (see below) extended along Lakeside Avenue as far as the Lakeside House. The Laconia Street Railway also had a siding (#6) in the center of town to allow idling electric trolley cars to be bypassed.

Freight spur (tracks #4)

         The three sets of railroad tracks (#1,#2, & #3 – to the left of the utility poles) and the two sets of trolley tracks (#5 & #6 – to the right of the utility poles) can be clearly seen in the old postcard above. Click here to see a similar card.

          The first tracks to be removed were those of the Laconia Street Railway (#5 & #6), which were promptly removed in 1925 after the electric trolley ended service to Weirs Beach. (Although the electric trolley had ceased operations, the Laconia Street Railway continued to operate buses in the summertime to Weirs Beach at least as late as 1950.)

Lakeside Avenue, 1925. The trolley tracks were gone, but all the train tracks were still there. Click here to enlarge the photo and for another photo and more info.

            Next to go was the freight spur (#4) under the railroad station, which was removed in 1940, following the late-1939 fire which destroyed the 1893 vintage station. In the mid 1940's, one of the two sidings in the center of town (#3) was removed, while the other (#2) was cut back. The other siding (#2), which had originally rejoined the main line at the Lakeside House, now rejoined the main line a few feet north of the railroad station, as can clearly be seen in this 1950 aerial photo and in the mid 1940s photo below.

Click here to enlarge this mid 1940's photo taken from the footbridge to the Winnipesaukee Marketplace

          On June 22, 1952, the railroad officially decided to "retire" the last siding. Before the following spring, the railroad had removed siding #2, leaving only the original, #1 main line running through Weirs Beach. On April 9, 1953, the railroad sold the land where siding #2 had been, to the City of Laconia, so additional parking could be developed on Lakeside Avenue, as seen in the postcard below.

The above photo can be accurately dated as having been taken between 1953-1955.
Click here to enlarge.

Click here to enlarge the aero view of Weirs Beach on the left, and for additional info.

          In the 1930's, cars parked perpendicular to the tracks on the East (Lake) side of Lakeside Avenue. On the West (Land) side of Lakeside Avenue, cars parked parallel to the curb.

Click here to enlarge the.
1940's linen postcard on the left and to see a similar view in 1961
          By the early 1940's the railroad canopy was gone, having burned along with the attached Weirs Cafe, the old steamer Mount Washington, the public wharf, and the public docks on December 22, 1939. The old electric trolley tracks had long been removed. Yet, with two sidings and the main passenger tracks still in the way, cars continued to park as they had before — perpendicular to the tracks on the East (Lake) side of Lakeside Avenue, and parallel to the curb on the West (Land) side.

          By the late 1940's the sidings had finally been removed in the center of town. With only the single, passenger set of railroad tracks remaining, cars began parking in a denser pattern. On the East (Lake) side of Lakeside Avenue, double parking was allowed, with one set of cars parking perpendicular to the curb, and another parking right behind at an angle. (Presumably there was an attendant nearby to juggle cars as neccessary.) On the West (Land) side of Lakeside Avenue, cars parked at an angle to the street. With heavy demand for parking, and commercial and public parking lots in the area yet to be developed, the front lawn of the Half Moon Cabins was often drafted into use as a commercial parking lot. (Howard Ballou, the owner at the time, advertised in a 1950 Lakes Region Association brochure not only "19 Modern Cabins" but also "Parking for 175 cars".) The photo above was taken September 14, 1947.

          The early 1950's brought one of the strangest looking parking arrangements yet. On both sides of Lakeside Avenue, one row of cars parked parallel to the curb, while another row of cars parked at an angle to the center of the street. The front lawn of the Half Moon Cabins continued to double as a commercial parking lot. The photo above was taken circa 1950. Click here to SuperSize the photo.

          In the late 1950's – early 1960's, parking in the center of town basically reverted to the earlier, 1940's pattern: i.e, on the East (Lake) side of Lakeside Avenue, cars parked (mainly) perpendicular to the street, while on the West (Land) side, cars parked at an angle. Development of the Tower St parking lot (on the right of the photo, behind the green Tarlson's building on the corner) as well as other commercial and public parking facilities in the area relieved the neccessity of double parking in the center of town, while the Half Moon Cottages (no longer "cabins") now limited parking to guests only.
           Additionally, at the behest of businessman Sidney Ames, owner of the
Half Moon, the City of Laconia added parking meters in 1956 in an effort to keep parking spaces turning over and customers flowing into the area. (The Laconia City Council's unanimous vote to add meters, on May 24, 1956, was supported by numerous area businessman, including notably, James R. Irwin, but was opposed by about 40 Weirs residents, who felt the meters were "unnecessary and unlikely to solve the traffic problem.")

          By the mid 1960's, parking in the center of Weirs Beach had basically evolved to its current pattern: angle parking on both sides of Lakeside Avenue. Also, the crosswalk on the North side of Lakeside Avenue, rather than proceeding straight across the street, had shifted, angling across the street to take a shortcut to the Winnipesaukee Pier. (The crosswalk would shift back to going straight across the street in the late 1990's.) Meanwhile, the Half Moon Cottages had added an 8-unit Motel in 1964, becoming the Half Moon Motel & Cottages.

          This photo from 1989 shows that although parking had remained the same as it had been since the mid-1960's, the surrounding core Weirs Beach businesses had not been standing still. The 1940's era train station had been replaced; the Mount Washington had been lengthened; the Winnipesaukee Pier had added a miniature golf course;and the Half Moon had extended its shops and arcades all the way to the corner of New Hampshire Avenue, while the Half Moon Motel & Cottages had added a second story to its motel, as well as a swimming pool.

          The webmaster plans to have an aerial photo of the center of Weirs Beach taken during the summer of 2009 to show its current configuration, especially the new, attractive facade of the Half Moon. Check back here in December 2009.


return to  www.weirsbeach.com   home page