Interlaken Avenue around 1905.
In the postcard below, Interlaken Avenue leaves to the right of the main road. A trolley is crossing the steel bridge across the Weirs Channel.
Lucern Avenue, which parallels Interlaken Avenue on the 1899 map below, still exists. Alpenrose Avenue continues in altered form, as the Alpenrose Plaza. All the other named streets are long gone. Most of the area north of Lucerne Avenue is now part of the 27-acre Weirs Community Park.
Here is the current-day configuration of the same area. Clearly, the development did not work out as planned for the 1899 investors. Notice that part of Interlaken Avenue still seems to exist on the modern-day map.
This circa 1959 aerial photo of Weirs Beach shows that at least part of Interlaken Avenue, visible in the bottom right corner of the photo, was still in existence at that time. Today, no remnant remains of Interlaken Avenue, with the part visible in this aerial replaced by a miniature golf course.
From the 1910's to the 1950's a girl's camp, Camp Acadia, was active on the part of the Interlaken property now planned for a park. The misspelling of the name of the camp in the photo below as "Arcadia" is fitting. With its many amusement arcades, Weirs Beach could be dubbed "Arcadia"! Click here for more info on Camp Acadia, and here for a Camp Acadia brochure; and also read the article below.
A 1917 newspaper ad for Camp Acadia.
Here is a view of Weirs Beach from Interlaken Park circa 1900.
Here is a circa-1915 view of Weirs Beach from the boulder at Interlaken Park.
Here are two identical views of Weirs Beach from Interlaken Park circa 1920 - one by day, the other by night.
A similar view to the above, showing a slightly wider view of the waterfront. Note the additional detail apparent in the photo that is obscured by the colorization process above.
Here is a view of Weirs Beach from Interlaken Park circa 1930. Note the absence of the New Hotel Weirs.
A souvenir plate based on the above view.
Here is a view of Weirs Beach from Interlaken Park circa 1945. Note the absence of the Weirs Cafe. Also the old Mount has been replaced by the new Mount.
A view of Weirs Beach from Interlaken Park circa 1947.
The Interlaken boulder in 1899, from the "Illustrated Laconian".
An interesting view from 1884, taken by the early Weirs photographer F.J. Moulton. Notable because the only Veterans building that can be seen on Lakeside Avenue is the 3rd Regiment building. Also visible in the photo is the Hotel Weirs, the Weirs Cafe, and the Lady of the Lake steamer.