Originally named the "Dover", the Chocorua's maiden voyage was on August 18, 1852. Several years later, to meet growing demand, she was rebuilt and expanded and renamed the Chocorua. Like the Mount Washington about 130 years later, she was cut in two and a new section was added in her middle to lengthen her. The curving "Hog Back" frame tied the two old sections together and stabilized her.